Sunday, April 24, 2011

The Library - An Awesome Resource

With the ready access most of us have to the Internet, it's easy to overlook one of the best resources out there -- your local public library.

I was reminded of this last week when I decided I wanted to learn how to use Photoshop, which is an extremely complex piece of software. It didn't take me long to look up computer classes on my library system's website. I learned they actually had online classes as well as in-person ones.

I signed up to take the four available online classes on successive evenings. But after the second level, I realized that in order to learn a new software, I'd be better off actually using that software, which I hadn't yet purchased. The branch closest to my home actually had the next two level classes scheduled the following day so I signed up.

When I arrived for my classes, I couldn't believe how busy the branch was in the middle of a weekday afternoon. Every area was being utilized to its fullest. And I'd been correct in my assumption that I would pick up the technology faster if I could actually play with it.

I still have a long way to go in mastering the program but the experience gave me a new respect for the library system. Unfortunately, in my state of Florida as well as many others around the country, government funding of libraries is drying up. It would be a terrible shame if this fabulous resource ceased to exist. I, for one, plan to lobby my state legislators not to reduce library finding. I urge you to do the same. You can take action HERE.

2 comments:

KC Burn said...

Great post, Wynter! Libraries are important resources.

Wynter Daniels said...

Thanks, KC.

Release Day!

It's finally here! I've been working on my first contribution to Kristen Painter's Nocturne Falls Universe since February, ...